Copycat Byerly’s Wild Rice Soup
- 12 T butter
- 1 small minced onion
- 1 cup flour
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups of cooked wild rice
- 2 lbs cooked ham, diced
- 1/2 c. shredded carrots
- 1 t. salt
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- 4 T. dry sherry
- 1 pkg sliced mushrooms
- 2 T. olive oilDirections
- Saute ham in olive oil just until a little browned, set aside
- Cook 1.5 Cups Wild Rice with 4.5 cups of water and the sliced mushrooms and carrots for 1 hr or until all kernels have popped open, set aside.
- Melt the butter
- Saute the onion until softened
- Add the flour in with a whisk and then add the chicken broth. Continue stirring until it comes to a boil and then for one more minute.
- Add the rice mixture, the ham, and the salt and simmer for five minutes.
- Add the cream, milk, and sherry, and cook until heated throughout